Lie in the southwest of the center of Shanghai City, Xuhui District has a registered permanent population of 875,308 and the government of the district is located at 333 North Caoxi Road. It is recorded that the famous scientist Xu Guangqi, who was also a grand secretary at the end of the Ming Dynasty, had agricultural experiments in the meeting of Zhaojiang Creek and Licong Jing River where he was buried after his death. Some of his descendants settled, lived and multiplied on this land and so it is called Xujiahui (hui: collect, join) that brings the title for the district. The district is one of the most prosperous business centers and many famous mansions and shopping centers are located there. It is also titled as the high-grade residential area for over 2,000 garden residences are built in the district. In addition to some famous high schools such as Shanghai High School and Weiyu High School, Xuhui District has 118 research institutes and 10 full-time institutions of higher education such as Shanghai Jiaotong University and Shanghai Normal University. What¡¯s more, some grand public constructions such as Shanghai Library and Shanghai Stadium are also situated in the district.
Former Residence of Soong Chingling
At 1843 Middle Huaihai Road in Xuhui District, the former residence of Soong Chingling is a boat-shaped building in German style with red roof and white walls. It had originally been the private villa of a German ship owner named Bauer and Jiang Weiguo once lived here. It was the living place of Madam Soong Chingling in Shanghai from 1948 to 1981. The residence is kept in the original look with a portrait of Sun Yat-sen hangs on the north wall and the photo taken with Mao Zedong on the south wall in the living room where she met some state leaders as well as some heads of foreign countries. It is a secluded and peaceful residence embraced with a lawn in front and camphor trees around.
Shanghai Botanical Garden
17 exhibition centers such as Herbal Medicines Garden and Tree Peonies Garden are open to the tourists in Shanghai Botanical Garden where is also the site of the memorial Huang Daopo.
Longhua Cemetery of Revolutionary Martyrs
United with the former Shanghai Cemetery of Revolutionary Martyrs, Longhua Cemetery of Revolutonary Martyrs was erected in 1995 and has been opened to tourists since 1st July 1995. Deng Xiaoping inscribed the title of the cemetery, which is located at 2853 Longhua Road in Xuhui District, the former site of Songhu Garrison Headquarters of the Kuomintang and the place revolutionaries of Longhua died.
Standing at 158 Puxi Road, Xujiahui Cathedral, which is the largest Catholic church in Shanghai, was erected under French Gothic style of brick-and¨Cwood structure in 1896 (the 22nd year under reign of Guang Xu of the Qing Dynasty). The 5-storey building can host over 3,000 Christians and so it is called the ¡°Vatican in Shanghai¡±. The two belfries direct 50 meters to the sky and the statue of the Virgin Mary made in Paris centers the main hall.
Situated at 666 Tianyaoqiao Road, Shanghai Stadium is the largest modern stadium of international standard in China with a site area of 19 hectares. It can house 80,000 audiences and once was the main place of the 8th National Sports Meeting of China in 1997. The plane of the structure is circular and the elevation is saddle-backed. In addition to a hotel, a sports club and a displaying hall, there is a football practice ground and a ground track filed.
Covering about 60 mus at 1 Guilin Road in Caohejing Town, Guilin Park was built in 1929 as the private villa of Huang Jinrong and so it is also known as the Huang¡¯s Garden. It has been open to the tourists after the reparation in 1958. More than 1,000 sweet-scented osmanthuses of over 23 species are planted in the garden and so the garden is called Guilin (the forest of sweet-scented osmanthuses) Garden.
Located at 53 Hengshan Road, the Community Church is the largest Christian church in Shanghai with a site area of 7, 330 square meters and a floor area of 1.372 square meters. It is a brick-and¨Cwood structure built in 1924 under the English style. The church is 16 meters high and can hold more than 700 Christians.
Longhua Tourism Area
Standing near the business center of Xujiahui in the southwest of Shanghai, Longhua Town is the only ancient town with a long history of more than one thousand years in the center of Shanghai City. Longhua Tourism Area is located at 2865 Longhua Road in Longhua Town and consists of Longhua Pagoda, Longhua Temple, Longhua Tourism City and Longhua Cemetery of Revolutionary Martyrs. The main scenic attractions inside the area are Longhua Pagoda, Longhua Temple, the ancient gate and the three ancient buildings. Longhua Pagoda, the oldest one of the 16 ancient pagodas kept well in Shanghai, was built in the period of Chi Wu of the Wu of the period of the Three Kingdoms (220-265). Longhua Temple is the biggest and oldest ancient temple in Shanghai. The ancient gate was formerly the entrance of Longhua Town and there is a pair of stone lions made in the Ming Dynasty (it is said that there are only two and a half pairs of stone lions kept in the area of Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Shanghai). The three ancient buildings¡ªLonghua Building, Jingu Building and Zhenqu Building¡ª are architectures following the style of the citizen houses in the region south of the Yangtze River with an area of 60,000 square meters.
As the oldest and biggest ancient temple in Shanghai, Longhua Temple was built over 1,700 years ago at 2853 Longhua Road in Xuhui District with a site area of more than 20,000 square meters and a floor area of 5,219 square meters. It is named Longhua Temple for Maitreya became a Buddha under the tree called Longhua according to the records in the Buddhist text. It keeps the seven-hall structure of the Buddhist ¡°Chan¡± sect and most of the halls are constructions of the period of Tong Zhi and Guang Xu of the Qing Dynasty. Inside are Maitreya Hall, the Heavenly Kings Hall, Grand Hall, Three Saints Hall, Abbot¡¯s Room and the Depositary of Buddhist texts. There is a bell¨Ctower and a drum-tower on the two sides of the Heavenly Kings Hall. On the highest floor of the 3-storey bell tower hangs a bronze bell, which is 2 meters high and weighs over 5 tons. It was made in the 20th year under reign of Guang Xu of the Qing Dynasty. The ¡°Longhua Evening Bell¡± in the monastery was one of the eight scenic attractions in Shanghai before. In the depositary of Buddhist texts there are Dacang Buddhist texts of various versions and some other Buddhist texts. The well-known ¡°Three Treasures of Longhua Temple¡± ¨Cthe 718 cases granted by Emperor Wan Li of the Ming Dynasty, the statue of Piluzhena Buddha, and a gold seal bestowed by the emperor-- are also stored there. Longhua Temple Fair held on the 3rd of the 3rd month of the lunar calendar has a long history of over 300 years.