Situated at Lane 440-496, West Jianguo Road, Jianye Lane was set up in 1920s and 1930s with a covering of 1.74 hectares. It consists of two parts and East Jianye Lane was built in 1930 and West Jianye Lane was constructed in 1938. It is a typical example of new style stone-arched gate lane residences that pay much attention to ventilation and solar illumination. The outer walls are all made up of red bricks and sub-lanes are connected with the main lane by semi-circle arches. The most distinctive feature of this sort of lane residence is the horse-head wall, which features the traditional ordinary residences in the region south of Yangtze River. At the same time, it is partially decorated with skintled brick works of Art Deco style.