Lies in the center of Shanghai City, Luwan District covers 8.02 km2 of four neighborhoods of Middle Huaihai Road, No.2 Ruijin Road, Dapu Bridge and Wuli Bridge with a population of 328,900(at the end of 2000). It was a part of Huating County in the Southern Song Dynasty and Shanghai County in Yuan Dynasty. After the victory of Anti-Japanese War in 1945 the Kuomingtang government established Lujiawan District and it was after the liberation that it was renamed Luwan District. 7 of the top 5,000 companies in the world and 20 transnational corporations set their sites in the district in 2003 and the establishment of the ¡°Advertisement Bay¡± puts new blood into the development of service trades of Luwan District that is undergoing a healthy and rapid development under the opening policy.
Former Residence of Zou Taofen
At 54 Lane 205, South Chongqing Road is the former residence of Zou Taofen, which is an ordinary building of western style. Zou Taofen was originally named Zou Enrun and Taofen is the pen name applied by him after he worked as the chief editor of the weekly ¡°Life¡± in 1926 for ¡°tao¡± means concealing one¡¯s true intentions or features and ¡°fen¡± implies struggling to the very end. In 1956, the residence and the next house were constructed into Zou Taofen Memorial in which the exhibits are the items used by Zou Taofen before he died. Above the fireplace on the right wall hangs the picture of his mother and on the left wall there is a piece of embroidered fabric made by his wife Shen Cuizhen who was an embroidery expert.
Former Residence of Zhou Enlai
At 73 Sinan Road in Luwan District is a garden residence of French style on whose gate there is a broad reads ¡° Residence of Mr. Zhou¡± and ¡° Residence of General Zhou Enlai¡±. It was the site of the Shanghai Office of the Delegation of CPC from 1946 to 1947 and the memorial of the shanghai office of the delegation of CPC was set up on the very place after the founding of People¡¯s Republic of China. The items in the bedrooms of Zhou Enlai and Dong Biwu are displayed in the places where they were, but the furniture in the residence are not original but replicas.
Site of the First National Congress of the Communist Party of China
It is at 76 Xingye Road that the fist National Congress of the Communist Party of China was secretly held on July 23 in 1921, which proclaimed the founding of the Party. The building is a typical Shanghai ¡°stone-arched gate¡± construction. The outer walls are made of blue bricks and the arched gates are marked with red decorations and copper hoops are glittering on the black doors. The memorial of the site of the 1st National Congress of the CPC was set up in 1952 and the reconstruction was finished on 27th May 1999 after which it has been open to the tourists.
Former residence of Dr. Sun Yat-sen
The peaceful and secluded garden residence under European style at 7 Xiangshan Road was the place where Dr. Sun Yat-sen and his wife Madam Soong Chingling lived and worked in Shanghai from 1918 to 1924. There is a dining room and a living room in the first floor and a quadrate inner veranda before the study and the bedroom upstairs. It was arranged under the style in the 20¡¯s and 30¡¯s based on the description of Madam Soong Chingling and most of the issues on display in the residence are the original ones used by Dr. Sun Yat-sen and Madam Soong Chingling.
The Virgin Mary Cathedral
The Virgin Mary Cathedral, also named the Orthodox Eastern Church, was built in 1934 under Russian style with a roof of various sized domes in peacock blue and the outer walls rendered by the mixture of yellow sands and cement. It stands at 55 Xinle Road as the biggest Orthodox Eastern Church in Shanghai.
Situated at 1555 Middle Huaihai Road, Shanghai Library is one of the top ten libraries in the world with a site area of 3.1 hectares and a floor area of 83,000 m2. It is facilitated with the advanced computer system and has more than 13,00 0,000 books and 20 reading rooms and over 3,000 seats.
Fuxing Park, the only one built under French style, is one of the oldest parks in Shanghai. In the center of the park is the flowerbed ¡°Chengchuangyuan¡±, which is also called ¡°Blanket--Like Flowerbed¡± for the flowers of various colors composing a blanket-like pattern. The statues of Marx and Engels built at the 90th anniversary of the death of Engels on 5th, August 1985 stand 6.4 meters high in the north with a weight of more than 70 tons.