Located in the northwest of Shanghai City, Jiading District covers an area of 458.8km2 with a population of about 500,000 of 14 towns, 3 neighborhoods, 1 industrial zone and 1 small section. It was named after the reign title ¡°Jiading¡± in 1218 (the 10th year under reign of Jiading of the Southern Song Dynasty), and was authorized as Jiading District by the State Council in 1992. The manufacturing of autos and auto fittings is a mainstay of the economy of Jiading District and the high development of auto industry has won the district the fame as the ¡°Auto City¡±. The fist car of Shanghai Make and the first Santana made in China were manufactured in Anting Town of Jiading District. The district is rich in tourist attractions of both modern entertainment centers such as Shanghai Golf Club and ancient constructions such as Guyi Garden that are famous at home and abroad. Zhouqiao Traditional Street and two famous ancient towns--Nanxiang Town and Anting Town, attract a lot of tourists for their historic relics as well as their modern amenities and services.
Located in Waigang Town of Jiading District, Wuxing Temple was built in 511 A.D. (the 10th year in the period of Tian Jian of Liang of the Southern Dynasty) with a covering of more than 10 mus. In addition to two compounds--Congfu Compound in the east and Yongde Compound in the west, there were more than 100 constructions such as Grand Hall, Wenchang Pavilion and Dabei Pavilion standing in the middle that were all torn down during the Great Cultural Revolution. In 1994 the gate of the temple and the Hall of the Heavenly Kings were reconstructed on the cost of 1,000,000 RMB collected. The temple has been open to tourists since May 1995.
Qiuxia Pu Garden (Garden of Autumn Clouds)
The Qiuxia Pu Garden (Garden of Autumn Clouds), located at 314 Dongda Street in Jiading District, is the oldest garden in Shanghai. It was built in 1502 (the 15the year under reign of Hong Zhi of the Ming Dynasty) as the private garden of Gonghong, a dignitary of the Ming Dynasty. It had ten famous sights such as Shuyu Room, Sanyin Hall, Yingyu Bank and Suihan Pathway when it was set up and now it is famous for more than 20 scenic spots such as Pushui Pavilion after several reconstructions
Located at 183 South Dajie Street in Chengxiang Town of Jiading District, the Confucian Temple was built in 1219 (the 12th year under reign of Jia Ding of the Southern Song Dynasty). It was the largest temple in the region south of Yangtze River for people to commemorate Confucius, the great Chinese philosopher and educationist, and now it is the site of Jiading Museum. Inside the temple are Lingxin Gate, Dacheng Gate, Dacheng Hall, Minlun Hall and Danghu Study. Beside the Danghu Study there is a stele corridor, which is decorated with the stone inscriptions of writings and paintings of Huang Tingjian, Shen Zhou, Wen Zhenming and Dong Qichang.
Guyi Garden (Garden of Ancient Splendor)
Located at 218 Huyi Road in Nanxiang Town of Jiading District, the garden was designed by Zhu Sansong, a famous artist from Jiading, and built in 1566 as the private garden for Min Shiji, a feudal official in the period of Wan Li of the Ming Dynasty. It was formerly known as Qi Garden till 1746 (the 11th year under reign of Qian Long of the Qing Dynasty) when it got the name ¡°Guyi¡±, which was stemmed from ¡° the beauty of bamboos¡±. In addition to the scenery of pavilions, corridors and winding paths, the Sutra Stele of the Tang Dynasty and the stone tower of the Song Dynasty inside the garden are famous art works of great value.
Standing in Zhouqiao Traditional Street of Jiading District, Fahua Pagoda is also known as Jinsha Pagoda. Built in the period of Kai Xi of the Song Dynasty, it was repaired in the Ming Dynasty, the Qing Dynasty and the Republic of China (1912-1949). It was reconstructed under the style of the architectures of the Ming Dynasty after the finding of some precious relics of the Song, Yuan and Ming Dynasty underground in 1996.