Contact Us Sitemap Chinese Version
 
 
 
 
Huangpu District


Lies in the center of Shanghai City, Huangpu District covers 12.85km2 (0.2%of the city) with a population of 686,000 (at the end of 1999) of 9 neighborhoods. As the oldest district, Huangpu District is the center of the administration, culture and trades, as well as the most extravagant area in Shanghai. It has been a hot tourist attraction not only for its extravagance but also for its historic and cultural relics.


  • Huangpu River Submarine Tunnel

    Being the only submarine tunnel in China, it was designed by Chinese and constructed in 1965!1970. After ten years' testing, the tunnel, which is 2,707 meters long, has welcomed the buses from the center of Shanghai City since 1st October 1980.

  • Yuyan Garden

    Yuyan Garden (Garden of Leisurely Repose), which was built in 1559 (the 21st year under reign of Wan Li of the Ming Dynasty), is situated at 132 Anren Street of Huangpu District. It was repaired after the liberation and has been opened to the tourists since 1961. The richly ornamented garden consists of seven scenery spots:

    1. Sanshui Hall: it was constructed in the Qing Dynasty for the host to accommodate the guests and formerly known as Leshou Hall. It is the highest building in the garden;
    2. the great rockery in Yangshan Hall: it is a masterpiece of Zhang Nanyang, a famous artist of the Ming Dynasty, and it is acknowledged as the top one in the region south of Yangtze River.
    3. Wanhua Building and Yule Pavillion;
    4. Dianchun Tang (the Spring Hall): it was the northern headquarter of the Knife Union in its uprising in 1853 and some arms used, coins made, and written statements proclaimed by the Knife Union are displayed there;
    5. Yulinglong: it is one of the tree famous stones in the region south of Yangtze River;
    6. Huijing Building;
    7. the inner garden. Yuyan Garden enjoys the prestige as "an architecture miracle in the region south of Yangtze River" and "an elite of garden in southeast China".

  • Shanghai Literati Temple

    Situated at 215 Wenmiao Road, Shanghai Literati Temple was built, immediately after the founding of Shanghai County in 1291(in the Yuan Dynasty), for the esquires to offer a sacrifice to Confucius and the scholars of Shanghai County to study further at that time. It is recorded that 279 shanghai scholars became officers in the three dynasties of Yuan, Ming and Qing. After being repaired and reconstructed, the temple has been a site open for the tourists at home and abroad to appreciate the traditional Chinese culture!Confucianism.

  • Bund Sightseeing Tunnel

    Lies at 300 Bund (No.1 East Zhongshan Road), the tunnel is 646.7 meters long from the north side of Chenyi Square in Puxi to the south side of the International Conference Center in Puodng. Sitting In the transparent silvery white compartments run without drivers, which are imported from France, the tourists enjoy a wide view of the constantly changing sceneries.

  • Bund Flood Wall

    Standing opposite to Pudong Development Bank Building, the Flood Wall is decorated with sculptures and statues named "Pujiang Melody", which tell the features of different periods of the development of Shanghai. In addition, three naked statues demonstrate the achievements made by Shanghai people in the past and at present and their dreams in the future.

  • Bund City Sculptures

    Three stainless steel sculptures named"Pujiang Light", "Sails" and "Wind" stand prominently in the Bund Green Corridor on East Jinling Road.

  • Bund "Lover's Wall"

    The lover's wall stretches 1,700 meters or so along the Huangpu River from Huangpu Park to New Kaihe Road. On The floor of the sightseeing platform, which is covered by 140,000 colorful titles and granites, stand 21 bowl-shaped flowerbeds, pavilions and granite chairs. 32 semicircular sightseeing verandas offer a closer view of the scenery for the tourists standing beside the river with the brightness of 64 lights installed along the wall.

  • Shanghai Nature Museum

    Located at 260 Yan'an Road, Shanghai Nature Museum is a complex museum involving various subjects such as paleontology, botany, zoology, geology and anthropology. 250,000 specimens are stored there, among which more than 1,000 samples are of great academic value.

  • Shanghai Traditional Street

    It was formerly known as Miaoqian Street that was crowded with the oldest private banks, taverns, teahouses, theatres and trading companies. After reconstruction, the 825- meter- long street is made of two parts---the east from Renmin Road to Guanyi Street and the west from Henan Road to Guanyi Street. It is a main street in the Yuyan Commercial Tourism Area and some traditional trades such as pawnbroking stores, embroidery firms, ancient teahouses and private banks can be seen there.

  • Shanghai Grand Theatre

    Located at 190 North Huangpi Road, Shanghai Grand Theatre is a 10-storey building with 2 floors underground. There are three showplaces!the biggest one that houses 1,800 seats are for performances of ballets, operas and symphonies, the one with 550 seats is fit for the play of local operas and chamber music, and the small one with 250 seats is always used as the stage for modern dramas and performances.

  • Shanghai Museum

    Shanghai Museum was built in 1952 and the new building was set up in October 1996 at 201 People Road in Huangpu District with a height of 29.5meters and an area of 38,000 square meters. More than 123, 000 pieces of Cultural relics of 21 categories including bronze wares, potteries, paintings, jade articles, coins and tortoise shells are stored in the museum, which is famous for its collection of ancient Chinese art in the world. The museum has ten monographic galleries of bronze, ceramics, calligraphy, painting, sculpture, seal, jade, furniture, coins and minority nationalities' art. The information system, multimedia guiding system, wild-screen TVs and wireless recorded instructions of eight languages are applied for the tourists to have a better knowledge of the exhibits displayed in the museum.

  • People Square

    In the center of Shanghai City was Shanghai Racecourse (before liberation), which was reconstructed in 1951 by Shanghai Government into two parts!People Park in the north and People Square in the south. People Square was rebuilt in 1993-1994 and now there are some high buildings such as Shanghai Municipal Government Building and Shanghai Theatre standing on it and the People Square Stop of No. 1 and No.2 subways with a shopping street lie underground.

  • People Park

    On Nanjing Road and Xizang Road in the center of Shanghai City, People Park is a quite and secluded place with artificial sights such as flowerbeds, grasslands, bamboos and pavilions for people to enjoy peace after visiting the high buildings around it.

  • Muen Hall

    Muen Hall, also called "Mule Hall", lies at 316 Middle Xizang Road. The hall was built of bricks and woods with a gothic outer look under American School style. In the southwest of the hall stands a tower that is topped by a 5-meter-high cross, which is made up of neon lights and shines in the evening opposite to People Square in the center of the city.

  • Chenghuang Temple

    At 1 Yicheng Road in Huangpu District is the Chenghuang Temple that hosts three town gods who protect cities and towns in Taoism. Huoguang, a famous general of the East Han Dynasty, was the earliest one worshiped in the temple and so the temple was formerly known as Huoguang Temple. The second god is Qin Yubo who was a well-known figure of the early Ming Dynasty and once lived in Shanghai. It is said that he was a dutiful son and made a palace-like building for his mother who sighed that she had never seen palaces (palaces are buildings for emperors). Learning that the Emperor appointed someone to look into the case, Qin Yubo had it reconstructed into a temple named "Jinshan Temple" before the commissioner's arriving. The general of Manchu (later the Qing Dynasty) army invading the south to Shanghai was warned not to massacre the inhabitants of the city by Qin Yubo in his dream. Therefore Shanghai people survived and they set up a statue of Qin Yubo in the temple and esteemed him as a town god. The third one is Chen Huacheng, the prefect of the region south of Yangtze River, who died bravely in the Second Opium War in 1842. When the War of Resistance Against Japan broke out in 1937, the statue of Cheng Huacheng was removed from Cheng Huacheng Temple to Chenghuang Temple and sculpted into a hero image with a red face and bright eyes.

  • Huangpu Park

    Built in 1886, Huangpu Park is the oldest park built under European style in Shanghai and it sees the changing of shanghai during the century. The Monument to the People's Heroes of Shanghai was set up in the park in memory of the immortal martyrs with the three gun-like towers implying the Opium War, the May 4th Movement and the War of Liberation. Beside the south gate is a bronze figure statue called "Pujiang Tide". On the circular island in Huangpu Park is the granite relief sculpture that is 120 meters long and 3.8 meters high displaying the revolutionary struggles of Shanghai people between 1840 and 1949.

  • Da Shi Jie (the Great World Entertainment Center) Da Shi Jie (the Great World Entertainment Center) was built in 1915 known as the oldest recreation complex in China. Now it is the only place where the works or activities make records of the Guinness world are shown and performed in China. A noticeable tower that is encircled by columns tops the building at 1 South Xizang Road in Huangpu District.

  • Chengyi Square

    At the end of Nanjing Road, there is a square called Chenyi Square in which stands the statue of Chengyi who was the first mayor of Shanghai after the founding of People's Republic of China. The 5.6-meter-high statue is cast with bronze and faces south with a 3.5-meter-high base made of red polished granites. To the south of the statue is a modern fountain.

  • Chengxiangge (eaglewood) Pavilion

    Chengxiangge Pavilion is a distinctive fane covering 159 hectares at 29 Chengxiangge Road in Huangpu District. It was formerly known as "Ciyun Temple" and famous for the statue of Kwan-yina Bodhisattvamade of eaglewood. The original statue was damaged before and the present one esteemed in the fane was built with the donation of the disciples from Hong Kong. In front of the pavilion four pillars support the decorated archway on which Sha Menghai, a famous Chinese calligrapher, inscribed the words "Eaglewood Pavilion".

  • White Cloud Taoist Temple

    Located at 8 Lane 100, Xilinhou Road in Huangpu District, the White Cloud Taoist Temple is the site of Shanghai Taoism Association and Shanghai Taoism Culture Study Center. In the late Qing Dynasty, Xu Zhicheng, a Taoist from Jiangding of Shanghai, built the Leizu Hall in Dongxingqiao and removed it to the present location. Xu Zhicheng got more than 8,000 volumes of "Taoist Sutra" and renamed the Leizu Hall "The White Cloud Temple on the Sea". The White Cloud Temple is the biggest Taoist temple in Shanghai and the seven copper figures made in the Ming Dynasty can't been seen in other temples in China. The "Taoist Sutra" is now treasured in Shanghai Library.

  • Church of Saint Joseph

    Located at 36 South Sichuan Road, Church of Saint Joseph, also called Yangjingbang Cathedral, is the oldest Catholic church in the foreign settlement in shanghai. Initiated in 1860 (the 10th year under reign of Xian Feng of the Qing Dynasty), it was set up in 1868 (the 7th year under reign of Tong Zhi of the Qing Dynasty) and the elevation and the bell tower were reconstructed in 1877 (the 3rd year under reign of Guang Xu of the Qing Dynasty). Over 1000 disciples can be housed in the cathedral that was built under the combination of Roman style and Gothic style.

  • Dajing Pavilion

    Located at 269 Dajing Road, Dajing Pavilion was one of the famous tourist attractions in shanghai before and was built on Shanghai city wall, which was initiated in 1553 (the 32nd year under reign of Jia Jing of the Ming Dynasty) to resist the Japanese invasion. It is also called Dajing Guandi Temple for Guan Yu, a senior general of Shu in the period of the Three Kingdoms, is worshiped in the temple.

  • Xiaotaoyuan (Mini-Peach Orchard) Mosque

    Located at 52 Xiaotaoyuan Road, Xiaotaoyuan Mosque was formerly known as Xicheng Hui Church (West City Moslem Church) and West Mosque. It was built in 1917 by Jin Ziyun, a director of Shanghai Moslem Board of Directors, and reconstructed in 1925 under the style of west Asian Islam architectures. In the west side stands a pray hall of 500 square meters which can house 500 disciples. A Mosque symbol pole is erected on the arched Wangyue Pavilion that centers about the top of the lower floor.

  • Holy Trinity Cathedral

    Holy Trinity Cathedral is the oldest Catholic church kept in Shanghai. A church was set up by a British businessman for British emigrants in 1847 at the crossing of Jiangxi Road and Jiujiang Road and thus Jiangxi Road was named Church Street at that time. It was reconstructed in 1869 in gothic style and was known as Red Church for it was made of red bricks. The plane of the cathedral follows the classic style with 47 meters in length, 18 meters in width and 19 meters in height. The building is embraced by columned corridor outside and inside a semi-dome is applied from the hall to the sanctum. What's more, the altar and the baptistery are decorated with delicate sculptures while the windows are ornamented with pictures made of color glass. A bell tower was constructed on the northeast in 1893 and in 1914 a large organ was installed which brought the cathedral the fame as the top 1 church in the east. After the outbreak of the pacific war in 1941 the cathedral was in poor condition for ages without reparation till it was reconstructed in 1955 by the government. But it was damaged and the bell tower was demolished in the period of the Great Cultural Revolution. The government of Huangpu District has rented the cathedral since the 1980's. According to the report it will be used as a religious place after it is reconstructed and opened to tourists.

  • Dongjiadu Cathedral

    Situated at 175 Dongjiadu Road near Huangpu River, Donajiadu Cathedral was originally called Saint Xavier Cathedral (Francisco Xavier was the first missionary in east Asia of the Society of Jesus). It was the first Catholic church built by foreigners in china featuring the early Spanish Baroque style with distinctive Chinese couplets written on the walls.

  •  
     
     

    Districts & Countries
    Historical Structures
    Hotels
    Housing

                        More>>

    Useful Phone Numbers
     
    Banks in Shanghai
    Restaurants
    Cinemas
    Gymnasiums
     

    About Shme | Contact Us | Sitemap | Job Opportunity

    Copyright©1995-2004 SHME.COM All Rights Reserved
    Best viewed with either (800*600)Netscape 4.0 or IE4.0 and above