Fengxian District, a new promising industrial zone in the south of Shanghai City, covers 687 square kilometers with a population of 520,000. It lies near to Hangzhou Bay to the south and Huangpu River to the north. Therefore, it enjoys pleasant weather in all the seasons. It was formed 6,000 years ago and settled 3,000 years ago. There was a Yanyan temple set up in commemoration of Yanyan, one of the Confucius's favorite pupils, who gave lectures here in the Spring and Autumn Period (770-476 B.C.) according to the legend. In 751 A. D. (the 10th year under reign of Tianbao in the Tang Dynasty) Huating County was established, from which, Baisha and Yunjian were separated and named as Fengxian County in 1726 (the 4th year under reign of Yongzheng in the Qing Dynasty). Fengxian County People's Government was established in May 1948 and it was under jurisdiction of Southern Jiangsu Administrative Office till 1952 when it was subordinate to Songjiang District of Jiangsu Province. It is under the command of Shanghai since November 1958 and has been Fengxian District since August 2001.
Guhua Park, designed by Chen Congzhou, a famous Chinese specialist of architecture, covers more than 100,000 square meters at 220 Middle Jiefang Road of Fengxian District. Some constructions in the park tell the allusions to the history of Fengxian District, such as "San Nv Temple", which was based on the story happened in the Zhou Dynasty. Goujian, king of Yue (a state of the Zhou Dynasty), commanded the troops to attack Suzhou and the king of Wu (a state of the Zhou Dynasty) asked his three daughters to run southward. The three daughters hanged themselves in the north Nanqiao Town of Fengxian lest being caught by the soldiers of Yue. Many historic buildings such as the First Bridge of Nantang and Xingyuan Garden contribute to the magnificence of the simple and elegant park. The unique design and the buildings featuring the constructions of the Ming and Qing Dynasties distinguish the park in the outskirts of Shanghai. It has been open to the tourists since 1984.
Wanfo Ge (Pavilion)
Situated on Zhenbei Street in Fengxian District, Wanfo Ge was originally built in the period of Hongwu in the Ming Dynasty and has a long history of more than 600 years. It was reconstructed in the 22nd year under reign of Qianlong in the Qing Dynasty and the 6th year of the Republic of China (1912-1949). It is well known for its distinguished buildings, especially the Hall set up on the ancient city wall.
Hongfu Temple, also named Hong Temple, was built in Hongmiao Town of Fengxian County in 1766 (the 30th year under reign of Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty) and rebuilt in 1995 with a covering of more than 20,000 square meters in accordance with the original features on the site it stands today. Inside the temple are Pailou (decorated archway), Sanmen, Grand Hall, the Hall of the Heavenly Kings, Abbot Hall and Hongfu Pagoda. It is one of the famous ancient temples in Shanghai.
Hai Wan (Bay) Si Ji (Century) Lin (Forest) Park
Built in 1998, Hai Wan Si Ji Lin Park is one of the five century forests in Shanghai with a covering of more than 1,500 mu. Inside the park are Bamboo Grove, Rare Trees Zone, Date Grove, Orange Grove, Vegetables Base, Cartoon Fairland, Sand Sculpture Zone and an Entertainment Plaza.
Hai Wan Landscape Avenue
It stretches from east to west 2.6 kilometers long and 13.5 meters wide. Visitors can be there by Shanghai No. 4 super expressway.
Situated in Qianqiao Town of Fengxian District, Baojing Temple enjoys a long history of more than 200 years. It was expanded at the end of 1999 and now it is the biggest temple in Fengxian District with a site area of 10 mu and a construction area of 6,000 square meters. The Grand Hall stands with an imposing manner and distinguished construction style. The only tower in Fengxian District, set up in October 2001, stands 30 meters high inside the temple.
Sheng Long Sheng Tai (Ecology) Park
Near to Shanghai Gold Coast¡ªBi Hai Jin Sha (blue sea and gold sand), Sheng Long Ecological Park lies at the intersection of Qiaoqiao Town, Qingcun Town and Fengcheng Town in Fengxian Disrtrict with a covering of 11780.5 mu. The park consists of an ecological forest that occupies 70% and artificial lakes and rivers that take 25% of the area of the park. It is divided into five parts: forest villas, forest tourism, forest nursery, ecological cultivation and health care. It is a desirable green ecological forestry park for holidays, tourism, relaxation and recreation.