Holy Trinity Cathedral is the oldest Catholic church kept in Shanghai. A church was set up by a British businessman for British emigrants in 1847 at the crossing of Jiangxi Road and Jiujiang Road and thus Jiangxi Road was named Church Street at that time. It was reconstructed in 1869 in gothic style and was known as Red Church for it was made of red bricks. The plane of the cathedral follows the classic style with 47 meters in length, 18 meters in width and 19 meters in height. The building is embraced by columned corridor outside and inside a semi-dome is applied from the hall to the sanctum. What's more, the altar and the baptistery are decorated with delicate sculptures while the windows are ornamented with pictures made of color glass. A bell tower was constructed on the northeast in 1893 and in 1914 a large organ was installed which brought the cathedral the fame as the top 1 church in the east. After the outbreak of the pacific war in 1941 the cathedral was in poor condition for ages without reparation till it was reconstructed in 1955 by the government. But it was damaged and the bell tower was demolished in the period of the Great Cultural Revolution. The government of Huangpu District has rented the cathedral since the 1980's. According to the report it will be used as a religious place after it is reconstructed and opened to tourists.